Thursday, September 10, 2009

Richard Kaufman - September's Featured Artist

Cold Song of the Blue Bird in Plum Tree Ink and Watercolors on Rice Paper $500

Playing Under Chrysanthemums Ink and Watercolors on Rice Paper $475

 Sparrows on Snowy Bamboo Ink and Watercolors on Rice Paper $525





Richard Kaufman Artist Statement
In my paintings, I combine the precepts and techniques of East Asian brush painting, referred to in Japan as sumi-e, and Western art. Making a modest contribution to the bridging of East and West cultures in this medium is one of my goals. 

I use "rice" papers, of which there are many types, brushes with natural fibers, Chinese and Japanese inks, and watercolors to depict scenes from the natural world. Chinese calligraphy in seals or "chops" and in writing is used in this kind of painting for several reasons. In addition to the meaning of the characters and their poetic expression, calligraphy itself is an abstract art.

Although there is an eastern aura in my work, my subjects are mostly North American and drawn from my personal experience.

My ultimate goal is not so much exact representation as to capture the mood energy and life force of my subjects. In addition to their uniqueness and personality, I strive to show the harmony and beauty of all things in nature. 

I am a member of the board of directors of the Sumi-e Society of America. 


No comments: